TRIP PRICE: $3,555* BRSC sKi-cultural trip, lots included
Trip Leader: RON ROLFE
BRSC Trip Coordinator: Kenneth Eng
Hakuba Valley is at the heart of the spectacular Japanese Alps and just 5 hours from downtown Tokyo by private bus. Host to the 1998 Winter Olympic Games, Hakuba is one of Japan’s largest and most renowned alpine resorts. The valley consists of 10 ski resorts, giving an incredible variety of alpine terrain, accommodating everyone from novice to expert. With this many ski resorts to choose from the slopes are relatively empty during the week and fresh tracks can be found for days. You’ll never be short of new areas to explore.
You'll like the Hakuba Valley ski trip for its mix of skiing, snowboarding, cross country, snowshoeing, delicious food, rural and urban experiences. All levels of skiers and snowboarders are welcome. You don't need to be an advanced or expert skier or snowboarder to have a good time on this ski trip. However, if you are an expert, you won't be disappointed because there is terrain for everyone. Ski the resort or if the conditions are right there are plentiful back-country options. Spend time with the group or do your own thing. Hakuba valley offers many restaurants and nightlife options. There is tons to explore.
We are staying at the 5☆ Hotel Tokyu. It is a short walk to Happo-One ski resort, one of 10 ski resorts available on the (optional) 5- or 6-day Hakuba Valley All Mountain Pass.
The hotel is also located a short distance from the Evergreen Outdoor Center, your source for ski/snowboard/park lessons and back country guides (back country tours from the alpine towering above Hakuba to some of the worlds best tree runs, snowshoe tours, evening snowshoe fondue tours and cross country tours on Olympic courses and forest trails).
Optional daily excursions are available from the hotel or nearby transportation center. Excursion possibilities include Jigokudani Monkey Park (Snow Monkeys), local sake distillery and microbrewery tour, and exploring Zenkoji Temple, one of the oldest and most important Buddhist temples in the country.
After a day of skiing/snowboarding, cross country skiing, snow shoeing, or sight seeing, you can enjoy the hotel's Onsen (natural hot spring pool). No need for hot tubs.
Hakuba Valley spans 10 ski resorts: Happo One, Hakuba 47, Hakuba Goryu, Iwatake, Tsugaike, Hakuba Norikura, Hakuba Cortina, Jigatake, Kashimayari and Hakuba Sanosaka.
- Altitude between 2,300' to 6,010', 3,500'+ of vertical
- 50 ski-lifts, 315 snow canons, 2 snowparks
- 93 miles of ski-runs: 8 black, 17 red, 38 blue, 22 green
- Other features: boardercross, halfpipe
What's Included (LOTS!):
- RT Air transportation between IAD and Tokyo via ANA nonstop flights.
- Meet & Greet at Tokyo Airport with local rep.
- Transfer between Tokyo Airport and Hakuba via private coach with English speaking assistant.
- Luggage truck between Narita Airport and Hakuba Hotel.
- Late Dinner at hotel the evening of arrival.
- 6 nights accommodations at the 5☆ Hotel Tokyu
- Welcome Reception and orientation at the hotel the 2nd day after arrival including 2 hours of Open Bar (beer, wine, soda, and heavy Hors d’oeuvres along with local area reps.
- Full hot and cold breakfast buffet daily.
- 4-course dinner for 3 more evenings during the week at the Tokyu.
- Special Ezura Goryu Drumming and dinner Show, including transfers.
- Mid-week Après Ski Party with 1 drink ticket per person.
- Farewell Party at The Pub, located less than a 5 minute walk from either hotel. This will include:
- Buffet Style dinner at your hotel
- Local Pub DJ entertainment
- 2 hours open bar (Beer, wine, soft drinks).
- Cash bar after 2 hours.
- Complimentary Mountain Escort for 3 hours on the first day of skiing. (Max of 20 people per escort)
- Complimentary local guide at the hotel each evening for 1 hour to assist with day tours, and questions.
- Discounts on Rentals through Rhythm Sports.
- Luggage transfer between Hakuba Hotel and Tokyo hotel (or Airport) via Yamato Luggage transfer (2 bags pp)
- Transfer between Hakuba Hotel and Nagano Train Station via private coach with English speaking assistant.
- Transfer between Nagano and Tokyo via Bullet Train.
- Meet Tokyo Rep on Platform upon arrival in Tokyo – Transfer to Tokyo Hotel
- 1 night accommodations at the 4☆ Grand Takanawa Hotel Tokyo.
- Transfer between Tokyo Hotel and Airport via private coach with English speaking assistant.
- All local taxes.
- All Air taxes
- All current fuel surcharges
- Medical Insurance coverage that includes all of the following: (This does not cover Cancellations)
- Trip Delay up to $750.00 ($150.00 per day)
- Baggage and personal effects up to $1,500.00
- Baggage delay up to $400.00
- Accident & Sickness Medical Expense of $50,000.00
- Emergency Evacuation & Repatriation of $250,000.00
- Accidental Death and dismemberment of $25,000.00
- Worldwide Emergency assistance Services
- (Please note that this insurance does not cover refunds for cancellation or reimbursement for lost travel days due to trip interruption.)
- Hakuba Valley lift tickets, about $45/day at ticket window
- Optional day tour program available from Hakuba, including Matsumoto Castle, Nagano Temple and Olympic Village, Saki Brewery, Snow Monkeys and more.
- Equipment rentals (snowboard or skis & poles), available at extra cost, at Rhythm, located next door to hotel.
- Lessons, mountain guides, mountain tours (powder, off-piste, snowshoe, cross country), available at extra cost, at Evergreen Outdoor Center, located a short distance from the hotel.
Optional Pre-Trip to Niseko, Ski the Powder Capital!! - February 16 - 22, 2020
$1,345 ($1,615 single supplement)
- 4 Days skiing at Niseko United Resort
- 5 nights at 4☆ Hilton Niseko
- Breakfast buffet daily
- 3 Dinners
- Air between Tokyo an Sapporo via ANA, private coach transfer to hotel
- Coach transfer from hotel to Sapporo airport
- Return air to Tokyo via ANA to meet main group
Optional Post-Trip to Tokyo & Kyoto - February 29 - March 4, 2020
$1,350 ($1,850 single supplement)
- 2 more nights at 4☆ Grand Takanawa Hotel, Tokyo
- 2 nights at 4☆ Kyoto Okura Hotel (or similar)
- Breakfast buffet daily
- Half day Tours in each City
- Transfer via Bullet train from Tokyo to Kyoto, private couch transfer to hotel
- Luggage transfer from Tokyo to Kyoto
- Return air via ANA from Kyoto to Tokyo
Number of Participants: 24
- Basic Package (lift tickets not included): $3,555
- Basic Package plus optional 5-day Pre-trip Extension to Niseko: $4,900
- Basic Package plus optional 4-day Tokyo/Kyoto Extension: $4,905
- Basic Package plus Optional Pre-/Post-trip Extensions (Niseko/Tokyo/Kyoto): $6,250
Through November 18, 2019, a $50 cancellation fee is assessed. After December 18, 2019, a $50 cancellation fee is assessed plus all unrecoverable expenses if a replacement is not found.
Payment Schedule (per person), payable online by credit card:
Member: $500 Deposit
- 10/19/2019: $1,019
- 11/18/2019: $1,019
- 12/18/2019: $1,019 plus any balance due based on trip options
If sign-up is after December 19, 2019, full payment is due immediately.
Participants must be current SCWDC members, or members of a BRSC affiliated ski club (contact trip leader for registration code). You can sign up as a member online HERE.