Mark your calendars for August 6, 2021, 7:30 to 9:30 pm for our first Pickleball play and socialize event at Pickleballerz in Chantilly, VA.
Pickle ball is the fastest growing sport in the U.S. It combines aspects of tennis, table tennis, and badminton to make a fun, fast paced game assessable to all ages. It is played with paddles on a hard court similar to a tennis court but smaller using a plastic whiffle like ball. It is easy to learn, and players generally advance quickly.
For the first hour, two courts will be reserved for new players to take a Pickleball 101 class and two courts will be reserved for play among those who already play. For the second hour, we will welcome the new players and use all four courts for play, mixing experienced players with new players. There will be snacks and water provided in the café area for socializing between games. Beer and wine will be available for purchase. If you don’t have a paddle, no problem --- paddles and balls will be provided. Please note that only water is allowed on the courts.
Date: August 6, 2021
Time: 7:30 to 9:30 pm
Where: Pickleballerz in Virginia, 14424 Albemarle Point Place, Chantilly, VA 20151 (It is located just off Route 28 between Route 50 and 66.)
Cost: Play and socialize: $15
Learn, Play and socialize: $36
For new players check out this overview of Pickleball on You Tube: Pickleball Rules | The Definitive Beginner's Resource to How to Play Pickleball - YouTube
See you there! Additionally, more opportunities to play and socialize will be scheduled following the kick-off event. We plan to have monthly social play events in the evening, as well as day-time options. We will be looking for volunteers to lead these events. If you have questions, please contact either Rita Togni, or Mary-Jo Swinimer
Date & Time: Thursday, August 19th, 5:00 – 8:00 pm
Leader: Bob Sobun, 703-503-3294
Location & Directions: UNO Pizzeria & Grill
3058 Gate House Plaza, Falls Church, VA 22042
(Route 50 and Gallows Road)
We're planning outdoor happy hours (3rd Thursdays) throughout the summer
Chasing Coral - The Movie
Date & Time: Thursday, Aug 26 from 6 - 8:30 PM
Leader: Rene Thierry
Cost: free of charge.
Locations: Glory Days Grill
6341 Colombia Pike, Falls Church, VA 22041
On Thursday, Aug 26 from 6 - 8:30 PM at the Glory Days Party Room we will offer an updated presentation on the award winning movie, Chasing Coral. Our speaker is NOAA scientist and Sammie winner, Mark Everson, who produced the movie in 2017. The room is large and can hold over 60 people easily and is equipped with tables and chairs. Food and drink can be ordered on separate checks.
This event is sponsored by the Ski and Scuba clubs of Washington DC. We encourage all participants to watch the movie Chasing Coral in advance and our speaker will update us on the condition of Coral around the world. As an in person event with excellent graphics this will have a strong impact. Especially now that even our Washington DC area is experiencing a triple digit heat wave.
If you plan on attending we need you to register for this event.
Our annual recognition of club volunteers PLUS a celebration of our 85th Anniversary will be held at the American Legion Banquet Hall in Springfield, Virginia. Here is the web link to this location: http://post176.org/ and it provides a link to Google Maps, a satellite map, and picture of the buidlng.
When the COVID-19 virus affected the USA, SCWDC Officers decided that we could not hold a 2020 Volunteer Party for those volunteers who served in the prior year, from October 2019 to September 2020. So the "Volunteer Invitation" part " of this party covers two years of SCWDC volunteer service from October 2019 to September 2021.
The second side of the plan is to let all SCWDC members enjoy a party that recognizes the club's 85th Anniversary which comes in 2021...SCWDC began in 1936, and club officers have previously conducted celebrations for our 50th, 60th, 70th, and 75th Anniversaries. SO HERE WE ARE, READY TO CELEBRATE "85" in 2021.
WHO CAN ATTEND?
1. Volunteers nominated by their program and committee chairs plus will be invited to come and enjoy for free.
2. Those members who have not served as a volunteer in the last two years (Oct 2019 - September 2021), who want to enjoy the 85th Anniversary side of the event, A VERY NICE PARTY, will be asked to pay $20 each, $40 for a couple, to attend this event. Guests, non-members, friends of SCWDC, are also welcome to attend for $20 each. Registration is open now and will end Monday, September 26.
WHY ATTEND THIS PARTY? Our club officers want to bring members together to have fun! All of us have been so limited in our social activities since March 2020. Now with COVID vaccines, we can resume most of the club's "Bringing Members Together" activities.
THE PARTY ITSELF:
- FOOD AND DRINK: The Legion will cater this event. SCWDC will order "Finger Food" = "Hors Devours’ " plus several beverages including, water, tea, soft drinks, wine, and premium beer. These are included in the plan.
- BUSINESS AND SOCIAL: We will have introductions of club officers and recent award winners plus history displays and videos of past club activities. This will be followed by conversations, music and dancing for most of the evening.
WHAT DO YOU NEED TO DO TO ATTEND?
- Volunteers from October 2019 - September 2021 will receive an an invitation from the Board of Directors. They will be asked by a separate email to RSVP by Monday, September 26 if they plan to attend the party. An invited volunteer may bring 1 or more guests for $20.
- Non-volunteers and friends of SCWDC/not currently a member, should register and pay in advance on this web site by Monday, September 26.
- FYI, the registration deadline is requested by our Legion Food Manager, who must order our menu and beverage items in advance.
85th ANNIVERSARY MEMORIES:
In the web site's "Home" menu area, just below our History web page, we will post a new web page of historical facts and comments about SCWDC: its beginning, its early years from 1940 - 1970, its growth years,1980's - 1999 leading to the transition to "Modern Times" from 2000-2021 marked by several different web sites and social media outreach, and now, "Our Way Forward" predictions for 2022-2025.
THE LEGION PROPERTY:
- PARKING: Huge parking lot.
- BANQUET HALL has room for 200 people. ROOM FOR EVERYONE!
- WHAT TO LOOK FOR, BUILDING & OUTSIDE SIGN: the Legion is a large two-story brick building with a large outside sign lighted at night.
The address is 6520 Amherst Ave, Springfield VA 22150 and this address should be entered into smart phone and GPS devices. Results may give you several turns when close to the Legion. You can use the following advice for a direct routing.
- From western Fairfax County driving along Old Keene Mill Rd towards I-495, the most direct route to the Legion is to use "Springfield Blvd." There is no Springfield Blvd sign at the corner but it is the first street past the Sunoco Service station on the right and just before a huge overpass, turn right. Now in 20 yards, turn into an access road into the Legion parking lot.
- If you are coming from Maryland & Tysons Corner on I-495, get off at the Springfield exit and merge onto Old Keene Mill. Now there are two choices, Choice 1: you need to cross four lanes into the left-most lane by the time you get to the first stop light. Make a U turn at the stop light and proceed back towards I-495, immediately navigating to the far right lane. Make a right turn just past the Sunoco Service station onto Springfield Blvd right before the huge overpass, and the Legion turn is 20 yards on the right. Choice 2: Most smart phone navigation advice will say when exiting I-495 onto Old Keene Mill, to make several right turns (a 'loop around '1 block to the north, then 1 block south and over the Amherst Ave overpass). These will also work, just takes a little longer and it's safer. Look for the turn-in at the bottom of the overpass, in front of the large American Legion brick building with lighted sign.
BELOW IS A MAP OF AMERICAN LEGION PROPERTY IN SPRINGFIELD.
Ski & Sports Club of Washington DC
5309 Lee Highway, Arlington, VA 22207 MAP
703-532-7776 firstname.lastname@example.org Office Hours: M-F, 9 AM - 5 PM