Sunday, October 3, 2021 6:00 PM to 10:00 PM
Our annual recognition of club volunteers PLUS a celebration of our 85th Anniversary will be held at the American Legion Banquet Hall in Springfield, Virginia. Here is the web link to this location: http://post176.org/ and it provides a link to Google Maps, a satellite map, and picture of the buidlng.
When the COVID-19 virus affected the USA, SCWDC Officers decided that we could not hold a 2020 Volunteer Party for those volunteers who served in the prior year, from October 2019 to September 2020. So the "Volunteer Invitation" part " of this party covers two years of SCWDC volunteer service from October 2019 to September 2021.
The second side of the plan is to let all SCWDC members enjoy a party that recognizes the club's 85th Anniversary which comes in 2021...SCWDC began in 1936, and club officers have previously conducted celebrations for our 50th, 60th, 70th, and 75th Anniversaries. SO HERE WE ARE, READY TO CELEBRATE "85" in 2021.
WHO CAN ATTEND?
1. Volunteers nominated by their program and committee chairs plus will be invited to come and enjoy for free.
2. Those members who have not served as a volunteer in the last two years (Oct 2019 - September 2021), who want to enjoy the 85th Anniversary side of the event, A VERY NICE PARTY, will be asked to pay $20 each, $40 for a couple, to attend this event. Guests, non-members, friends of SCWDC, are also welcome to attend for $20 each. Registration is open now and will end Monday, September 26.
WHY ATTEND THIS PARTY? Our club officers want to bring members together to have fun! All of us have been so limited in our social activities since March 2020. Now with COVID vaccines, we can resume most of the club's "Bringing Members Together" activities.
THE PARTY ITSELF:
- FOOD AND DRINK: The Legion will cater this event. SCWDC will order "Finger Food" = "Hors Devours’ " plus several beverages including, water, tea, soft drinks, wine, and premium beer. These are included in the plan.
- BUSINESS AND SOCIAL: We will have introductions of club officers and recent award winners plus history displays and videos of past club activities. This will be followed by conversations, music and dancing for most of the evening.
WHAT DO YOU NEED TO DO TO ATTEND?
- Volunteers from October 2019 - September 2021 will receive an an invitation from the Board of Directors. They will be asked by a separate email to RSVP by Monday, September 26 if they plan to attend the party. An invited volunteer may bring 1 or more guests for $20.
- Non-volunteers and friends of SCWDC/not currently a member, should register and pay in advance on this web site by Monday, September 26.
- FYI, the registration deadline is requested by our Legion Food Manager, who must order our menu and beverage items in advance.
85th ANNIVERSARY MEMORIES:
In the web site's "Home" menu area, just below our History web page, we will post a new web page of historical facts and comments about SCWDC: its beginning, its early years from 1940 - 1970, its growth years,1980's - 1999 leading to the transition to "Modern Times" from 2000-2021 marked by several different web sites and social media outreach, and now, "Our Way Forward" predictions for 2022-2025.
THE LEGION PROPERTY:
- PARKING: Huge parking lot.
- BANQUET HALL has room for 200 people. ROOM FOR EVERYONE!
- WHAT TO LOOK FOR, BUILDING & OUTSIDE SIGN: the Legion is a large two-story brick building with a large outside sign lighted at night.
The address is 6520 Amherst Ave, Springfield VA 22150 and this address should be entered into smart phone and GPS devices. Results may give you several turns when close to the Legion. You can use the following advice for a direct routing.
- From western Fairfax County driving along Old Keene Mill Rd towards I-495, the most direct route to the Legion is to use "Springfield Blvd." There is no Springfield Blvd sign at the corner but it is the first street past the Sunoco Service station on the right and just before a huge overpass, turn right. Now in 20 yards, turn into an access road into the Legion parking lot.
- If you are coming from Maryland & Tysons Corner on I-495, get off at the Springfield exit and merge onto Old Keene Mill. Now there are two choices, Choice 1: you need to cross four lanes into the left-most lane by the time you get to the first stop light. Make a U turn at the stop light and proceed back towards I-495, immediately navigating to the far right lane. Make a right turn just past the Sunoco Service station onto Springfield Blvd right before the huge overpass, and the Legion turn is 20 yards on the right. Choice 2: Most smart phone navigation advice will say when exiting I-495 onto Old Keene Mill, to make several right turns (a 'loop around '1 block to the north, then 1 block south and over the Amherst Ave overpass). These will also work, just takes a little longer and it's safer. Look for the turn-in at the bottom of the overpass, in front of the large American Legion brick building with lighted sign.
BELOW IS A MAP OF AMERICAN LEGION PROPERTY IN SPRINGFIELD.