Due to Covid restrictions this event has been postponed
A future date has not been set.
Sunday, October 3, 2021 6:00 PM to 10:00 PM
Our annual recognition of club volunteers PLUS a celebration of our 85th Anniversary will be held at the American Legion Banquet Hall, 6520 Amherst Ave, Springfield, VA, 22150.
Due to COVID-19 / Delta transmission concerns, the Board of Directors has postponed this party to a later date. The BOD wanted to honor all volunteers, but COVID infections are still too possible. The BOD regrets this lost opportunity to bring volunteers together in 2021.
The volunteer part of this party covers two years of SCWDC volunteer service from October 1, 2019 to September 30, 2021. The Anniversary part is a celebration of 85 years and thousands of activities. SCWDC was founded in 1936, and the Club officers have previously conducted celebrations for 50th, 60th, 70th, and 75th Anniversaries.
THE PARTY ITSELF:
- Food and Drink: The Legion will cater this event. SCWDC will order a large assortment of finger food and serve buffet style, plus provide several beverages including, water, tea, soft drinks, wine, and beer. Seating at tables will be available.
- Dress Code: This affair is Black Tie Optional, otherwise, Evening-ware for Women, Business Attire, aka, suit and tie for Men.
- Program: Remarks and information displays about SCWDC's history. Mostly, music, dancing, and conversation with friends and attendees.
WHY ATTEND THIS PARTY? Our Club Officers want to bring members together to have fun!
WHO CAN ATTEND AND WHAT DO YOU NEED TO DO TO RESERVE YOUR SPACE?
1. Volunteers nominated by their program and committee chairs will be invited to come and enjoy for free. An SCWDC Office invitation email will go to all volunteers. Every volunteer that plans to attend should RSVP to the persons/email addresses in the emailed invitation by Sunday, September 26. We need a definite count so we don't pay for unused spots. We owe the Legion Catering Manager a final attendee count on the morning of September 27.
2. Those members who have not served as a volunteer in the last two years (October 2019 - September 2021), who want to enjoy s nice party will be asked to pay $20 each, $40 for a couple, to attend this event. Guests of volunteers and non-members, are also welcome to attend for $20 each. Registration is open now and will end Sunday, September 26. Refunds for non-attendance: none.
3. Walk-ins will not be permitted. To recap, volunteers need to RSVP by September 26. Members who are not volunteers and any guests, need to register by September 26 and pay. Online registration and credit card payment are preferred. Those wishing to register and pay by check should mail their paperwork and check a week in advance, September 19, to SCWDC Office at 5309 Lee Highway, Arlington VA 22207. Mail delays of up to a week are common in the Metro area.
FYI, ANNIVERSARY MEMORIES
In the website's "Home" menu area, just below our History web page, we will post a new web page of historical facts and comments about SCWDC: its beginning, its early years from 1940 - 1970, its growth years,1980's - 1999 leading to the transition to "Modern Times" from 2000-2021 marked by several different websites and social media outreach, and now, "Our Way Forward" predictions for 2022-2025.
THE LEGION PROPERTY, WHAT TO KNOW
- Parking: Huge parking lot.
- Banquet Hall has room for more than 150 people and tables will be dispersed through out the room.
- What to look for, the building and outside sign: the Legion is a large two-story brick building with a large outside sign lighted at night, very visible from Amherst Ave.
The address is 6520 Amherst Ave, Springfield VA 22150 and this address should be entered into smartphone apps and GPS devices. When using a navigation device, results may give you several turns when close to the Legion. You can use the following advice for a direct routing.
- From western Fairfax County driving east along Old Keene Mill Rd towards I-495, the most direct route to the Legion is to use "Springfield Blvd." There is no Springfield Blvd sign but it is the first street past the Sunoco Service station on the right side and just before a huge overpass, turn right. Now in 20 yards, turn into an access road into the Legion parking lot.
- If you are using I-495 South coming from Maryland & Tysons Corner, get off at the Springfield exit and merge onto Old Keene Mill Rd. Now there are two choices:
Choice 1: Most smart phone navigation advice will say when exiting I-495 to make several right turns...these are a "loop," 1 block to the north, then 1 block east, then 1 south taking you over the Amherst Ave overpass over Old Keene Mill. Look for the turn-in at the bottom of the Amherst overpass and see the large red brick building.
Choice 2: Immediately after exiting I-495 and entering Old Keene Mill, you may cross four lanes into the left-most lane by the time you get to the first stop light. Make a U turn at the stop light and proceed back towards I-495, immediately navigating to the far right lane. Make a right turn just past the Sunoco Service station onto Springfield Blvd/no sign right before the huge overpass, and the Legion turn is 20 yards on the right. This may be a difficult effort in busy traffic times, choice 1 is the easier safer route.
BELOW IS A MAP OF AMERICAN LEGION PROPERTY IN SPRINGFIELD.