If you’re the kind of traveler who likes to be in the know, telling friends and family about the next great new destination, Michès just might be your perfect discovery. This unspoiled spot on the Dominican Republic’s northeastern coast is a sunseeker’s paradise, but more than that, it’s brand new to tourists. And although it’s within easy driving distance from bustling Punta Cana, its calm feels a world away.
Here are just a few of the reasons to add Michès to the top of your Caribbean bucket list. Bonus: You’ll probably be the first person you know to explore its many charms. You can register for the trip HERE.
1. Its unspoiled beauty is a photographer’s paradise
Until recently, Michès was a town known mostly to the fishermen and farmers who call it home. However, the buzz surrounding its natural beauty, white sand beaches, nearby mountains and freedom from hordes of tourists is growing fast. Bring your camera (or at least prepare to use the #Miches hashtag for your Instagram shots) and get ready to be dazzled.
2. The pristine coast has crystal clear water for your beach fix
Let’s be honest: Visitors to the Caribbean come for plenty of reasons, but the blue-turquoise water and white sand beaches top the list. Michès boasts a beautiful reef at Playa Esmeralda, perfect for snorkeling to see the colorful fish that call it home. Fill your days with kayaking, swimming, snorkeling, paddleboarding or just soaking up the sun.
3. It’s a foodie’s paradise
Trying new dishes is a major travel perk, and a visit to the Dominican Republic means you can sample some tasty local specialties. Whether you order local cuisine or opt for something more familiar, the thriving farming community grows all kinds of fruits and vegetables, so your food will be ultra-fresh. Plus, with locally grown bananas, coconuts, papayas, mangoes and citrus fruits, whatever tropical drink you choose will be delicious. Four restaurants from which to choose.!
4. The latest in eco-chic luxury
Since Michès is developing tourism from the ground up, hospitality leaders are embracing eco-friendly principles. For instance, Club Med’s first Exclusive Collection resort in the Caribbean, Club Med Michès Playa Esmeralda, will become an eco-chic haven for guests not only through its social sustainability and dedication to eliminating single-use plastics, but also for emphasizing the importance of recycling while at the resort.
5. There’s something for every kind of traveler
Michès may be the new “it” destination, but it already has something for every kind of traveler. Michès Playa Esmeralda resort features four exclusive boutique villages, each with its own unique personality: the romantic oceanfront Archipelago suites, equipped with their own private pools; the energetic Caribbean Paradise at the heart of the property, created for families and couples alike; the adult-exclusive Emerald Jungle, specially built for wellness seekers featuring rain showers and a tree-top yoga platform; and the beach-centric Explorer Cove.
6. There’s adventure beyond the beach
Michès boasts several must-visit natural attractions. Plan to check out Salto La Jalda, the Caribbean’s tallest waterfall, and Montaña Redonda — an Instagrammer’s haven, with 360-degree views of the surrounding countryside with a swing on top of the mountain. The best kept secret of the region, Samaná Bay’s whale watching, allows sightseers the chance to observe the migration of majestic humpback whales during winter and spring.
7. Planning a trip — and getting there — is easier than you think
Dreaming about a vacation is fun — but planning one can feel overwhelming. Luckily, SCWDC does all the work for you! If you're a single, we'll find you a roommate. A low $250 deposit will hold your reservation until 90 days before departure, and you can always cancel without penalty up until that time.
● Michès is a short one-hour drive from the Punta Cana International Airport, which has flights from many major U.S. cities. Plus, there’s a brand-new highway that makes travel seamless and comfortable — and transportation is included when you book air with Club Med.
● Vacation packages include accommodations, all meals and top-shelf beverages, evening entertainment, sports and tons of exciting activities. When you opt for the up-front price, you’ll score substantial savings.
● Club Med’s team of chefs make it their mission to delight guests with every bite. They are ready to introduce you to local favorites — or satisfy your craving for something familiar.